Services

Decades of involvement in the development of more than 100 condominium and rental buildings offers unmatched experience in the industry. These services result in maximum revenues and a stress-free process for our clients.

Strategic Suite Demising : A Crucial Step in Development

Embarking on strategic suite demising is a critical juncture in the development process, marking a pivotal stage in your project’s trajectory. To effectively navigate this phase, the enlistment of both an architect and a planner is imperative. The architect’s role entails responsibilities such as, but not limited to, a comprehensive examination of site conditions, encompassing factors such as local regulations, density allowances, height constraints, and shadow impacts. Meanwhile, the urban planner collaborates with the architect and municipal authorities to secure essential city approvals.

Enter Linda Mitchell Marketing Inc. (LMMi).

A common pitfall among developers is deferring the refinement of suite demising until after obtaining city approvals. However, prioritizing massing from the outset proves to be instrumental. Instead of relying on preliminary floorplates where suites are typically oversized, understanding the optimal suite size, type, and unit count upfront streamlines the application process. Requesting additional suites post-approval encounters significant obstacles.

LMMi’s Approach:
  1. Initial Architectural Review: Clients provide early architectural drafts.
  2. Analyzing Typical Floorplates: Precision in demising typical floorplates influences subsequent floors.
  3. Determining Gross Floor Area (GFA): Targeting an 85% efficiency, LMMi allocates space for saleable units, allowing the remaining 15% for necessary amenities like elevators, stairs, and corridors.
  4. Establishing Suite Size Averages: Considering market dynamics, what should the overall average suite size be? What about the average size of a studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, or three-bedroom?
  5. Suite Configuration: How many units can be achieved per floor to match the target average?
  6. Suite Variety: Balancing affordability and functionality, various suite types cater to diverse buyer preferences. How many of each suite type should be offered, and what should be the size ranges of each suite type?
  7. Suite Orientation: Evaluating available views from different parts of the building to strategically position suites. Ensuring that the largest and most expensive suite enjoys the best vistas is crucial.

Floorplan Layout Development

Once space demarcation is settled, crafting floorplan layouts becomes the next phase. Each type and size of suite requires meticulous design, typically starting with the smallest suite and progressing to the largest.

Attention to detail is crucial, especially concerning suite features, ensuring an attractive offering as suites increase in size and value. Given the compact nature of smaller suites dictated by price points, an open concept for entry, kitchen, living, and dining areas proves advantageous. Partitioning these spaces with walls would not only waste valuable space but also create a fragmented appearance.

Key considerations in the layout process include:

  • Providing a front entrance to accommodate a closet and a stacked washer/dryer.
  • Designing the kitchen to maximize storage and functionality.
  • Selecting appliance sizes proportional to the suite’s dimensions.
  • Sizing living/dining areas to comfortably accommodate components such as seating, a coffee table, and dining arrangements etc.
  • Ensuring bedrooms feature usable closets.

Other important characteristics to consider encompass various aspects such as minimum widths of living areas, den dimensions, compliance with city requirements, hallway widths, kitchen run sizes, bathroom vanities, media work spaces versus walk-in closets, provision of wall space for TVs, barrier-free options, bedroom qualifications, fan coil unit locations, tubs versus showers, incorporation of ‘Urban baths’, interior living room functionality, pipe space locations, structural constraints, alignment of windows, use of spandrel glass, balcony offerings, limiting distance restrictions etc.

Coaching

Linda offers a personalized approach to coaching.  She tailors her services to suit individual needs.  If you’re interested, please contact our team for more information.

Get Started with LMMi

Contact our team today to set up a call and discuss your project.